With a mild winter so far in Rochester, NY many were hoping the snow would stay away for as long as possible. The truth is, when you live in New York State you are bound to be hit with snow eventually. But, for the Real Estate world the showings must go on! Here are some tips for showing a home in the winter months.
- Make sure to clear the driveway and use extra salt. Homes that are vacant may not have a plow service or shoveled driveway. Make sure to clear driveways and put down salt to avoid any slipping. Make sure to show up with plenty of time to set the thermostat higher and warm up the home.
- Light up the home. In the winter months, it gets darker much quicker. Turn on all the lights in the home and even light some candles to brighten things up.
- Turn on the fireplace and make it as cozy as possible. Serving up some hot coco and coffee for when people enter the home is a great way to warm up potential buyers.
- Make it clear to take shoes off. In the winter months the slush, salt and snow can ruin a wood floor. Make it clear to those entering the home that they must remove shoes before entering. This will keep for a clean and dry home. Have paper towels or rags at the door to help people keep the floors, and their feet dry.
- Enjoy the company of serious buyers. A major benefit of winter showings are you are most likely to have more serious buyers show up. There will be much less window-shopping in the chilly months. Less traffic and more commitment will help you with a speedy showing.
Bundle up, stay warm and plan ahead. A little snow on the ground will not scare away a serious buyer. Keep in mind, living in Upstate New York we were raised to handle the snow!