With the Real Estate market as fast pace as it is right now your home may go up for sale and sell in a week or less! This is a great thing…as long as you are prepared that is. Here are a few tips if you are moving in a pinch to assure you that process is not as difficult as it may seem.
- Sort through the clutter: If you have lived in your home for a number of years chances are there may be some clutter. Your first step is to bring a garbage right inside and throw away anything that does not do you service. Sorting through the unwanted items will give you a better look for what can be thrown away, what can be donated, and what is going with you.
- If there is not enough time for a Garage Sale DONATE! Remember one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. If you have appliances, toys, home items that are still in good shape make sure to donate them to your nearest Good Will or Salvation Army. There are plenty of people who would love the items in your home so start up a big box labeled DONATE encourage your family to fill the box as they pack and then drop it off at a donation center.
- Ask for help: If you are pressed for time during your move do not be afraid to ask for help. Friends and family are always willing to help. Just make sure to maximize your efficiency by having a list made with tasks for each person to avoid the chaos of too many hands in the pot during the move. Professional movers are ideal when moving furniture and large items. It could take you weeks to move a full house of furniture if you are cramming one couch at a time in the back of your friend’s pick-up truck. Save your time and your back and hire professionals for the big items.
- Packing the right way:. Make sure to stock up on the right supplies in order to pack your belongings the right way. Once things are placed in a box no one knows who will be touching it. To avoid fragile items from being broken make sure to have enough packing supplies to do it the right way. Many of your friends may have boxes that you could use. Before going out and buying ask around to those who you know have recently moved, they most likely would love to get them off their hands.
- Label, Label, Label: Now that you are all packed up, label each box with which room it will go in the new home. This way as everyone begins to transfer the items to the final destination upon arrival they know exactly where to place each box.
- Make a plan: Making a plan of attack for the day of the move is crucial. This is something that you want to communicate with everyone helping you to ensure that no time is wasted and your move is done as efficiently as possible. Delegate each person with a different task for the day and make sure they are all informed and prepared. This will reduce the stress level of everyone involved.
With that being said, if you are moving in a pinch don’t stress. Remember that planning is crucial and communication is key. Happy moving and welcome home!
If you are in the process of moving and looking for a reliable and trusting moving service, visit the Nothnagle Home Services page to view a full list of movers and home-related vendors available to you! We take the time to find the most qualified and trusting services so that you don’t have to!