As we’ve suggested in several previous posts, regular home maintenance helps prevent or postpone costly repairs down the road. It’s summer and in addition to gardening, mowing and other yard work, it’s also a great time to do some home maintenance projects while the weather is nice.
1. Wash exterior siding with a garden hose and mild detergent. Do not power wash! The force of the water can potentially damage siding or trap water underneath that could lead to mildew. If washing with the hose is not sufficient, you may want to consider hiring a professional instead of doing it yourself with the power washer.
2. Caulk seams around your windows and doors in order to help with your energy costs. The caulk will keep the cool air in when you’re running the A/C and prevent drafts in the cold winter months. It’s also effective at preventing insects from getting into the home.
3. Clean and seal decks. Now you can break out the power washer! Power washing your deck with a mild detergent will help remove all of the debris and build up prior to sealing the wood. Make sure the wood is completely dry before applying the deck sealer and try to apply when you know there is going to be a couple of rain-free days in the forecast.
4. Repairs cracks in your concrete sidewalk or patio. For most minor cracks, applying concrete caulk will work. Make sure the cracks are clean of all debris (use a hose or washer) and let dry before applying caulk. For larger cracks or damage, you may need to use a concrete patch.
5. Clean and repair your gutters. Not always a fun job but the payoff is huge. Clogged downspouts or water leaking on or close to your house can cause major damage.
6. Have a certified chimney sweep inspect and clean chimneys. This way you will be ready to go when the cold weather returns.
Nothnagle Realtors offers various home-related services through our Home Services department. Our coordinators can help match your job with the right professional within your budget. Call or email today!