The new “2014 Residential Landscape Architecture Trends Survey” by the American Society of Landscape Architects clues you in on what outdoor features are trending up:
1. Outdoor lighting (98.3% of architects rated this as very popular): With today’s solar and LED lights, it’s a low-cost upgrade, too.
2. Terraces, patios, and decks (97.7%): Adding any of these features is like adding another room to your home for much of the year.
3. Low-maintenance landscaping (95.4%): Landscaping done right can add 28% to the value of your home and cut its time on the market by 10%-15%.
4. Fire pits and fireplaces (95.4%): Building your own fire pit is an easy, low-cost DIY project.
5. Built-in seating (89.6%): Adding built-ins to your deck or patio increases the usability of your outdoor spaces, which is like adding square footage to your home.
Other popular items include:
- Fencing (88.5%)
- Native plants (84.5%)
- Drip-water efficient irrigation (84.5%)
- Pergolas (82.8%)
- Water features (81.6%)
Here are some less popular landscape items. So if you’re thinking of putting them in, make sure they’re something you’ll really enjoy:
- Geothermal-heated pools (27.2%)
- Outdoor cooling systems (37.2%)
- Movie/TV theaters (42.3%)
- Shower/baths (46.8%)
- Gazebos (48.5%)
- Turf lawns (54%)
Article courtesy of HouseLogic.com
If you are interested in any of these improvement ideas, call our Home Services department to get you in touch with a reputable local contractor! Call 866-295-MOVE and mention this article! Or click here to view our service partners.