If you are on a search for your dream home stepping foot into an open house can be overwhelming. There is so much to take it you may not know where to start. If you are serious about your house hunt each open house you go to should be important. Having a game plan of what to concentrate on will help you find your perfect house and feel good about it every step of the way!
Here are some tips to keep in mind while visiting an open house…
- What to bring along= Notebook, camera, tape measure. With the number of houses you are viewing, it is easy to get them all mixed up. Writing down the specs and details of each home as you walk through will help you to go home and truly analyze what you just saw. If you are bringing furniture and appliances into your new home, a tape measure will help assure you that your belongings are a good fit for your new property.
- Avoid bringing large purses and distracting items. You want your hands to be free of distractions and have enough space to move around in small areas such as closets, bathrooms and hallways if your purse tends to be similar in size to a carry-on bag think twice about lugging it around that day.
- Focus on the details not the “fluff”. It comes as second nature to step foot in a home and automatically look at the décor. When house hunting this is something that you have to avoid. Everyone’s style is different and this can be very apparent when entering a stranger’s home. Try your best to focus on the structure not the things that will be going with the old owners.
- Take note of storage space. Check for closets, pantries and cabinet space. An empty open house can be very deceiving so try to picture your belongings in every room to make sure there is enough space to accommodate your things.
- Listen for road traffic, and noise. Take a second and turn off any music playing in the home, listen for road noise and other sounds that may come to attention. It is very easy to drown out unwanted noise with music and chatter; these permanent features of a home are what you want to be aware of before making any further decisions.
- Think ahead. Plan your wardrobe accordingly, not every open house allows you to keep your shoes on. Avoid wearing shoes that take a lot of time to slip on and off. That will save you lots of time and energy when going from room to room or house to house.
- Monitor your commentary. Be cautious of what you say when still on the property. Many times the owner actually does not leave the area for their open house. No matter what the comment if it could rub someone the wrong way, keep it inside. You do not want any harsh feelings held towards you if you may plan to make an offer on the house.
- Educate yourself about the property before entering. Know how many days it has been on the market. Knowing these details will give you a leg up if you end up wanting to make an offer. With that being said, if you have any unanswered questions about the home feel free to pick the showing agent’s brain. They are there to answer any questions you may have, so ask them while you have the chance!
- You will not offend your realtor so be honest with them! Do not hold back when voicing your opinion about a property to your agent. Keep in mind that is not their property and they need to hear what you like and dislike in order to help find you the perfect home. No detail is too small so do not hold back.
- Do not go alone! If passing an open house that may be of interest to you stopping by and popping in may be a great idea, but think twice before you do. Not only is it unsafe, but it can be a huge waste of time. The property may be appealing from the outside but can be out of your price range. You also run the risk of appearing to the seller as unrepresented making them believe that they may have a leg up in the bargaining department. You have an agent for a reason and that is so they can help guide you, give you the knowledge you need, and properly represent you in these situations. If you happen to see a home that is of interest to you, take the number down and give it to your agent. They will do the work to make sure it is a property worth viewing.
The house hunting process is a very important one. Take your time and make sure you are 100% prepared and ready. If you make sure to take all precautions, you will find your dream home in no time. If you are looking to buy a home or have any questions about the process Click here to be matched up with an agent who fits your specific needs! Nothnagle REALTORS makes your home search as easy as possible. Click here to view the upcoming open houses in your area.