The decision to buy a home may be one of the biggest moves of your life…literally and figuratively that is. Whether you are a first time home buyer or pro at the process here are very important questions to ask yourself before you commit to buying a home.
- How long do I plan to live here? One of the first questions you should ask yourself is what will this home be to me? A starter home? A Home to raise a family? An Investment property? These questions will help you figure out the type of house you are looking for. It will narrow down your search criteria- bedrooms, bathrooms, location, style etc.
- Where do I see myself in the future? Making sure you are committed to the location in which you are searching is important. Look into the future 5-10 years and ask yourself what area you truly can visualize as ‘home’. Of course a starter home may not be the same place you want to retire but looking into the future will help you narrow your search as well as your price range.
- Have I accounted for all the costs of a home? Finding a home is the first step to becoming a ‘home owner’. Following the purchase of a home comes the move, decorating, renovating, and settling in. Take into account these added costs before setting a price range for your home search. If you are itching for all new appliances and furniture to fill your new home, make sure to consider those early on in the home buying process.
- Are my finances and job stable? Being realistic is sometimes very hard to do when you have a list full of beautiful ‘dream’ homes to choose from. Keeping a realistic view when beginning your home search is critical to make sure you are able to live a comfortable lifestyle after moving in.
- What is my real reason for buying? Buying a home is for the most part a long-term commitment. Making sure that you are purchasing a home for all the right reasons is key. Don’t let someone else talk you into it and try not to rush the process. Be honest with yourself and those making the decision with you in order to make sure everyone is on the same page from the start.
There is no doubt that now is a great time to buy a house. The real question is if it is the right time for you. The decision to buy a home is a very personal one that involves tremendous thought. Taking your time and weighing all options will assure you make a lasting decision that will make you happy for years to come.
By hiring a Nothnagle agent, you are hiring a negotiations expert, pricing specialist and overall trusted advisor with the ability to meet all of your unique real estate needs. If you are in need of help with your home buying search contact a Nothnagle Agent today!