It is the first week of November and this means winter is right around the corner. Along with the frigid temperatures comes busted pipes, snow covered driveways and drafty windows. Here are 6 things to do before the winter weather comes blowing in.
- Put all outdoor furniture away. Leaving outdoor furniture out during the winter months will wear on the furniture causing the paint to crack and material to wear. Make sure to put all furniture away for the winter in order to make sure it looks like new for the spring.
- Drain hoses and cover faucets. Do not forget to empty your hoses and put them away before the freezing temperatures hit.
- Clean gutters. Make sure to clean your gutters thoroughly before the winter months. For homes with harder to reach gutters do not hesitate to hire a professional to make sure it is done right and to avoid any possible injuries.
- Make sure your chimney is clean. When the cold temperatures hit us there is nothing more cozy than turning on the fireplace. Make sure your chimney is ready and clean for the winter.
- Check windows. Even double pane windows can get very drafty in the winter months. Adding shrink film to windows can save you money on your heating bill. Let’s face it, shrink film is not the most attractive thing to place on your windows, therefor try wrapping windows in rooms that are not seen often. Dens, attics and office spaces are great places to stop the cold draft.
- Break out the snow blower. Try not to wait until the first snowfall to make sure you have everything ready. Bring your snow blower out prior to the first snowfall. Check the tires, chain and motor to make sure everything is working properly.
As much as we may not want to accept it the winter months are coming, and being prepared is crucial. Tackle these tasks within the next few weeks and you will be winter ready. As for right now enjoy the sunshine and beautiful week ahead of us!